Ale Houses of Whitwick
Over the years there have been up to a staggering 38 hostelries serving ale in Whitwick, of these 13 have now been demolished, 9 converted to other uses and 16 are still trading. Below is just a flavour of this drinking heaven!
The Boot Inn
Above: A view down Silver Street clearly shows the Boot Inn, the adjacent 3 storey house was occupied by George Greasley for many years who narrowly survivied the Whitwick Colliery Disaster. The large house on the right of the road was called "Kingscroft". Built in 1888 as a private residence for Dr Lambert Houghton. Kingscroft opened in 1896 as the Whitwick and Thringstone Conservative Club and was later renamed the Whitwick Constitutional Club around 1925.
The Boot Inn was opened in 1836 by a local shoemaker (hence the name) and traded as a public house until 1913.
Crown and Cushion (South Street)
Above: A view from the railway bridge, the Crown and Cushion can just about be distinguished by the large advertising hoarding. The Railway Hotel can be seen on the right and was built in 1882 to coincide with the opening of the Charnwood Forest Railway.
The Crown and Cushion closed in 1923 and was demolished in the 70's. One landlord was Mick Noon a defender who made 82 appearances for Aston Villa between March 1899 and May 1906.
The Duke of Newcastle Hotel
Standing on the oposite side of the road, and also bearing a flag mast, can be seen the Liberal Club (known today as the North Street Working Mens' Club). Right in the distance, on the same side as the Duke, the New Inn can be discerned as the last visible building, standing just beyond the turn into Brooks Lane, on the corner of Talbot Street. (Photograph by permission of the Coalville 150 Group)
Demolished in recent years, the Duke stood almost opposite the North Street Working Mens' Club. The site is now occupied by part of a small housing development named, "Pare's Close". Landlords of the Duke of Newcastle included: Robert Brownsword (1877); John Parker (1880); Mary Clarke (1884); George Holloway (1886); Robert Smith (1886); James Eadie (1886); Henry Smith Hancott (1902); James Albert Waterfield (1916); Joseph Massey (1925); Henry Morris (1928); Arthur Richards (1941)
The Forest Rock Hotel
Above: Scene probably snapped during the 1940s and today.
(Photograph by permission of the Coalville 150 Group)
One of the oldest hostelries in the area, the Forest Rock became a very popular halt from the 1860's onwards with visitors to Charnwood Forest and the nearby monastery of Mount Saint Bernard. During the 1880s, the Inn also had its own cricket team, 'Whitwick Forest Rock'.
In 1892, the landlord, Mr Swift, advertised the hostelry's tariffs as being; 1/6 for a meat tea, 2/- for a bed and 1/6 for breakfast.
Landlords of the Forest Rock have included: George Draycott (1854); Edward Hood (1877/1881); Joseph Swift (1892); Arthur Edwin Pollard (1904); George Bramwell (1913); Walter Edward James (1913); John Crewe (1925); Fred Hanson (1928); William Plackett (1941)
The Three Horseshoes (Polly Burtons)
Above: A quiet scene inside Polly's.
Named after its Post War Landlady Polly Burton's is situated on Leicester Road and is now a Grade II listed building. The pub was recognised by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport as "a remarkably complete survival of a rare two-room working mans' public house of the later Nineteenth Century". It has previously featured in CAMRA's National Inventory of Pub Interiors of Outstanding Historic Interest (2003).
The White Horse Inn
Left: Then - In the background can be seen the Crown and Cushion, and beyond this one can also make out the suspended inn sign of the Waggon and Horses. (Photograph by permission of Coalville 150 Group) Right: Now - Both the Crown and Cushion and the Waggon and Horses have been demolished.
The White Horse was originally a farm dwelling and probably dates dack to the eighteenth century. Landlords of the White Horse have included: Elijah Burton (1881); Amos Bloomfield (1884); Richard Swinfen (1891); Elizabeth Swinfen (1895); Frank Middleton (1916/1928); Cyril Jordan (1941); Syd Plackett (1947).
Frank Middleton was an ex Derby County (1901-1906 68 Apps) and Leicester Fosse (1906-1909) player. Another footballing landlord was Syd Plackett who played for Derby County between 1922 and 1927 as a left-half before taking over the White Horse.
The Castle Inn
A photograph of a winter's day scene taken on 30 December 1961 after a heavy snow fall. The van is parked near the Castle Inn and on the right is the Castle Garage breakdown lorry.
The Hermitage Hotel
Situated on Hermitage Road it opened in 1905 and closed in 1967 due to mining subsistence. it was demolished in 1968 and a private house built on the site.
The Man within Compass (Rag 'n' Mop)
Taken in the 1920's the photograph shows landlord John William Warrington, his wife matilda and son Sidney.
All the Names
Abbey Inn, Cademan Street; Blacksmith's Arms, Hall Lane; Cricketers, leicester Road; Crown and Cushion, South Street; Duke of Newcastle, North Street; Duke of York, Leicester Road; Hastings Arms, Market Place; Hermitage Hotel, Hermitage Road; Marquis of Granby, Cademan Street; New Inn, Brooks Lane; Queen's Head, Thornborough Road; Royal George, North Street; Waggon and Horses, Church Lane;
Beaumont Arms, Market Place; Boot Inn, Silver Street; Castle Inn, Castle Street; Crown and Cushion (Thripney's), Silver Street; Hermitage Inn, Hermitage Road; Railway Hotel, South Street (On site of former Joiners Arms); Talbot Inn , Talbot Lane; White Hart, South Street.
Black Horse, Church Lane; Bull's Head, Greenhill, Constitutional Club, Silver Street; Foresters' Arms, Leicester Road; Forest Rock, Leicester Road; Hare and Hounds (Mary's House), City of Three Waters; Jolly Colliers, Thornborough Road; King's Arms, Silver Street; The Lady Jane, Hall Lane; Man Within Compass (Rag 'n' Mop), Loughborough Road; North Street Working Mens' Club, North Street; The Oak, Talbot Street; Sport and Social Club, Market Place; Three Crowns, Market Place; Three Horseshoes (Polly Burton's), Leicester Road; White Horse, Market Place;